This memorial weekend has been wonderful and jam packed! Friday morning we left for a weekend road trip to Charleston, SC. to visit some friends and their littles. Charleston is about 4 hours from us and this is the first time we were traveling with a 21 month old longer than an hour in the car. We were a little worried about how she would do sitting that long because she wasn’t exactly known for loving the car as a baby. Hence the reason why we haven’t really traveled much since she was born. Well we were pleasantly surprised because our girl was a rock star and did awesome driving there and back. She also slept great in the hotel at night and even took naps. So glad that we finally went for it because it was so much fun finally getting out of town and making time to see friends. It was great visiting Charleston but I have to go back in the future to actually tour the city’s architecture and local attractions as everything we did was pretty kid focused since we both have young ones to entertain.
We actually ended up coming home a day early which I always seem to do when we go on vacation. I start getting antsy and thinking about everything I have to do when I get home. To make me feel better we ended up heading out a little before lunch yesterday after playing at the park and saying goodbye to our friends. I must say it was great to come home and arrive at an earlier hour because I was able to quickly plan my weekly menu and knock out the grocery store so I could do my food prep today. I definitely felt a little rushed fitting all my chores and prep because I still wanted to spend time with my family enjoying celebrating the memorial day holiday. I am so glad I got it all done and I now I can go into this week feeling refreshed and prepared to eat clean and focus on my tasks and my first 7k race on Saturday. I am so excited to finally race more than a 5k and I am really hoping I can maintain a 10:00 minute overall pace per mile. I am going to try to run at least twice this week along with my regular training and the Jillian Michaels DVD challenge I am following for the next 6-weeks.
For food prep I did the following to prepare for this week:
- Egg White, Turkey Sausage and RF Feta Muffins Cups - I have previously posted my personal recipe in the muffins galore post but if you want variations just do a search for egg white muffins, there are tons!
- Fruits and Veggies – I have carrots, grapes, celery, sweet peppers and strawberries in individual snack size baggies so they are pre-portioned. I also keep blackberries, blueberries and bananas on hand to serve with breakfasts.
- Sweet Kale Salad – I picked up my favorite brand of salad mix called Sweet Kale and each bag makes four servings and I pack them in portable containers from Ziploc which I adore!I don’t add the dried cranberries, seeds or dressing that it comes with instead I use a RF Yogurt honey mustard dressing that I dip into when I eat.
- PB2 Chobani Yogurt Mix – I was missing my PB2 and plain chobani yogurt mix last week so I prepped four of them to have with breakfast or a snack during the week. I will post the recipe below for my version. Please note this is not my original idea I found it originally posted on Stuft Mama’s blog.
Lunch and Dinner Plans:
This week I am repeating some of the recipes that I never got to last week but threw in some other old favorites that make excellent leftovers. I defrosted a bunch of chicken I had in my freezer so my menu is a little chicken heavy this week which is never a bad thing.
- Chicken with Peanut Sauce & Sweet Potatoes – This is from page 54 of the June 2013 Clean Eating magazine. I am personally obsessed with peanut sauces and sweet potatoes so put them together and I am on cloud nine. I calculated out the weight watchers points and it is 8 points plus! This is a complete dinner because it also includes green beans in the recipe. (I actually made this for tonight’s dinner and it was wonderful, can’t wait for the leftovers this week!)
- Spicy Shrimp & Bell Pepper Toss – This is from page 50 of the June 2013 Clean Eating magazine and is only 4 points plus on weight watchers. I am planning to add some avocado for a healthy fat and a couple of corn tortillas to bulk it up for dinner.
- Lemon Dill Chciken with grilled asparagus & Onion Topping – This recipe is from page 72 of the June 2013 Clean Eating Magazine. I am looking forward to this as it is always fun to pull out the grill.
- W.W. Slow Cooker Chicken Tika Masala – This is a crockpot recipe that we as family love! It is so good and makes excellent leftovers. I actually made it in the crockpot today for tomorrow’s dinner since I work Tuesday nights and I already have the leftovers packed for lunches. This is one of those recipes that kids and adults love and you can serve it with white or brown rice for a filling side ! I do adapt the recipe a bit so I will post my modified version this week.
- Garlic Parmesan Avocado Cauliflower Mash – I am excited to try this new recipe from undressed Skeleton as a side dish this week.
Also there are a few things that I want to make if I have time this week to experiment:
- Homemade Chicken Lunch Meat – I would love to not rely on prepackaged lunch meat each week so if I have time I am planning to make my own from chicken breasts. If not I will I add it to next weeks menu and make it during my food prep time.
- Kabocha Squash – A lot of the health/fitness/food blogs I follow rave about Kabocha Squash so I finally located some here in town and am planning to roast some as a side dish. Fingers crossed that it tastes as good as everyone says.
- Flax Crust Pizza – I am trying to incorporate more flax into my diet and this seems like a fun way to do it one day this week. I am planning to add more veggies to it and use reduced fat mozzarella and maybe turkey pepperoni to make it more WW friendly.
- Hot Coconut Flaxseed Cereal – I have some light coconut milk that I need to use up this week so this seems like an interesting way to do it.
I hope you all have a great week and enjoy your prepped eats!
PB2 Greek Yogurt
- 6 oz plain Greek yogurt – I use Chobani fat free but you could use any brand you prefer and use full fat or reduced fat if you prefer.
- 2 TBSP of PB2 Peanut Butter Powder – I personally love chocolate PB2 and use this frequently. There are other brands of peanut butter powders so feel free to use them too.
- 1 tsp Chia Seeds
- 1 packet of natural sweetener – I am currently using via by stevia.
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. You can eat right away but I find the flavor is much better if mixed and then set in the fridge over night. This is a great recipe to make multiples of so you can be prepared for the week! The flavor just keeps getting better each day. If storing in the fridge make sure you use air tight containers.
- My version of the recipe is 3 weight watchers points plus values. I personally like to pair this with my egg white and turkey sausage egg muffins and some fresh fruit for breakfast.
Tagged: breakfast, clean eating, clean eating magazine, eat clean, Eats, egg white muffins, food planning, food prep, healthy eating, healthy living, holiday, Inspiration, meal planning, motivation, nutrition, recipes, stuftmama, weekly planning, weight watchers