Another weekend that has gone by way to fast! We kicked off the weekend with getting a quote for concrete work to expand our current back patio (if you can call it that). I love to eat outside and it is actually one of my favorite things about going out to eat. It is so much fun to me to sit on a patio with friends, family and good food. We have not really been able to utilize our back yard because the patio is not big enough to put a table and chairs on it. We have such good weather most of the year in Florida so it will be great to invite everyone over for healthy eats in my own home rather than being tempted at restaurants. We have decided to take the plunge and have the work done so here is to a new patio and sidewalk in a couple of weeks. If we are lucky maybe we can christen it with a 4th of July BBQ!
Saturday my sister and I took the kids to the splash park at our zoo which is always a lot of fun. The kids have a blast and it helps to keep everyone cool.
Later in the day I made it to the grocery store and picked up my goodies for the week. I am definitely leaning on a produce heavy menu this week as I am still trying to kick cravings and I am hoping that if I cut back a little on carbs it will help to control the sugar cravings I have been having lately. I did great all week last week until Friday night which is so frustrating, I just have to learn how to get my stress under control and not let food be my release. I know this is something that I continue to struggle with and I am going to learn how to control it. All I can do is move forward and I am looking forward to this week and everything I have planned. Luckily my bad choices were contained to Friday though it was enough to do some damage and I am still trying to undo damage from the last couple of weeks. However I feel good because I made good choices the rest of the weekend and I know I am going to take this weight off.
Before I get to the this weeks menu I have to tell you about the indoor trampoline gym we went to today called Rebounderz. It was so much fun jumping from trampoline to trampoline. It was surprisingly toddler friendly and a great way to get some exercise in even though we were just playing around. If you have one in your area I highly recommend checking it out. It would be definitely be a great place to go on a rainy day if you need to let some kids burn off some energy or a great date night with your significant other.
For food prep I did the following to prepare for this week:
- Egg White, Turkey Sausage and RF Feta Muffins Cups -This week I am back to my egg white muffin cups! They are so good with some hot sauce on top and I am looking forward to having them for breakfast.
- Cauliflower Hummus – I am stepping out of my comfort zone here. I made cauliflower hummus from the cookbook Practical Paleo. I have never made hummus before, let along cauliflower hummus but it was surprisingly easy to make and very tasty! I can’t wait to snack on it this week with my veggies.
- Fruits and Veggies – I have carrots, grapes, celery, sweet peppers and strawberries in individual snack size baggies so they are pre-portioned. I also keep blackberries, blueberries and bananas on hand to serve with breakfasts.
- Sweet Kale & Broccoli Salads– I picked up my favorite brand of salad mix called Sweet Kale and a bag of broccoli slaw. Each bag makes four servings and I pack them in portable containers from Ziploc which I adore!I don’t add the dried cranberries, seeds or dressing that it comes with instead I use a RF Yogurt honey mustard dressing that I dip into when I eat.
I will say I made some personal progress this week because I actually asked my husband for help with food prep this week. I tend to take on way to much and never ask for help even though he is offering it. He offered to help like he always does and I initially turned it down but then stopped myself and asked him to come back and help. Oh my goodness it made things go so much faster. He took on prepping all the fruits, veggies and nuts while I was able to actually cook the BBQ mushrooms and make the hummus and egg muffins. It saved me so much time and I am so grateful! I really need to ask for help more often and make this a team effort since we all eat the food. Besides it can turn into a fun date night in the kitchen.
Lunch and Dinner Plans:
- Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps – This recipe is also from Practical Paleo and is made buffalo with spices rather than traditional buffalo sauce.
- Grilled Flank Steak with Peppers and Onions – Again a recipe from Practical Paleo. I had such good luck making flank steak on my grill pan last week that I decided I needed to make it again. This time it will be yummy to add the onions and peppers to it. I am planning to serve it with mashed faux-tatoes made from cauliflower. I did a version of it last week and I just mashed the cauliflower with a fork and it was good. However after pureeing the cauliflower in my Vitamix for the hummus and tasting it I realized it is so good pureed! It really does taste like mashed potatoes when you get it nice and smooth so I am really looking forward to this dinner.
- BBQ Portabello Mushrooms with light coleslaw – I made this recipe last week as well from Brooke Not on Diet and it was so good that I made it again last night while I was meal prepping. I am planning to have this as part of my lunches this week rather than dinner.
- Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps - This is a recipe from LaaLoosh that I have made before and it is so so good especially as leftovers. I reheated it the next day and threw it on top of a salad and it was amazing. The flavors had deepened overnight and no dressing was needed. I am really looking forward to this one!
- Spaghetti Squash Sesame Noodles with Edamame – Spaghetti squash is another veggie that is pretty new to me but so far I am finding it really good. I roasted one this morning and I am planning to turn half of it into this recipe as my husband loves Asian style dishes. I am really hoping he likes this one.
- Spaghettie Squash with Thai Peanut Sauce – I am personally in love with anything with peanut sauce but I hardly ever eat it because it can be a calorie and fat bomb. However this looks like a great recipe to try and keep things lighter so I am planning to use the rest of the spaghetti squash for this.
- Breakfast for Dinner – I decided to keep one night flexible this week and just plan breakfast for dinner. Who doesn’t’ love breakfast food for dinner and it is so simple and quick to make so it will be my fall back if we have a particularly crazy week.
What are your food plans for the week? Here is to a great week and good eats! I am finally going to be able to get back to my weight watchers meeting this coming saturday so I am looking forward to seeing all of my friends and get my dose of support and motivation. I know it personally helps me to weigh each week and has been a big part of the problem with some of my choices lately because I haven’t had that accountability in almost a month. I will probably still be up a couple of pounds from the last time I weighed in but I just need to accept it and not let it bring me down and move forward. Good luck everyone!
Tagged: breakfast, clean eating, Eats, egg white muffins, food planning, food prep, healthy eating, healthy living, Inspiration, low carb, meal planning, motivation, never give up, nutrition, recipes, weekly planning, weight loss, weight watchers