I can’t believe I am sitting here and the weekend is gone. It flew by but the best ones always seem to! I had a fantastic Saturday which started early with me running my first 7K race!
I have been looking forward to this race for a few months now because I was finally going to be running further than a 5k and I had set a goal to average a 10 minute mile throughout. Well I am very excited to say that I actually surpassed my goal and averaged 9:28 m/m! I can’t believe I beat my goal by a full 30 seconds and was able to maintain it for a full 4 miles. I actually set out to run this race by myself but ended up running into my friend Patti who is a fellow weight watchers member and hard core runner! This women is amazing and has been such a great friend and support system for me. She made us head right to the front of the line and we hit the ground running when the gun went off. The first mile flew by and I was shocked when she told me to hustle because we were about to pass the 1-mile mark at an 8:45 pace! I wanted to cry from happiness because I couldn’t believe I had done that. I have never been able to pace and push myself at that pace and was so grateful that I had someone to run with. The rest of the race went fantastic and I was so excited to cross that finish line. Patti messaged me later to let me know that our race results were in and I actually finished 9th out of 35 women in my age group and 56th overall in the women’s category which had over 300 entrants. I literally did the happy dance in my seat and again wanted to cry from happiness. Completing this run and exceeding all my expectations has really helped me get my head back into the game. It has been a rough couple of weeks balancing work, time with my family, exercising and just life in general. I made a lot of poor food choices but have been making an effort to get back on track. I am now more motivated than ever and just feel positive overall which makes things so much easier.
Afterwards I headed to the beach to spend the day at the beach with my family and friends! But before I took off my heart rate monitor I had to document that I burned a little over a 1000 calories before 9:00 in the morning. I was definitely ready for a beach day!
Of course I need to include a picture of my girl chilling in her beach chair. This was an excellent Costco purchase as she loved it we didn’t have to keep her from stealing our chairs.
This week is going to be especially busy for me with a new class starting up that I am still prepping for. That means this weeks menu is super simple so I didn’t have to do as much prep and I am relying on my grill to cook up a big batch of meat and veggies. Also, we went out to lunch Sunday to one of our favorite BBQ spots and I ordered a large BBQ plate with pulled white meat chicken and smoked turkey. The portions are so big that my daughter and I both split it for lunch and I have still have enough leftover to make two lunches. Excellent way to save some time and have yummy leftovers. I also baked some sweet potatoes, steamed green beans and made mashed cauliflower for the first time. Cauliflower is one of those vegetables that I did not grow up loving but I am making an honest effort to eat it more often. I used this recipe for dinner on Sunday from undressed skeleton and it turned out fantastic. I will definitely make this recipe again, plus it makes a big batch so we have leftovers for lunch and dinner this week. For the main dish I replicated a Parmesan chicken burger that I had a few weeks ago at a local burger joint. It was so good and I knew I could make it at home and know exactly what was in it which means I can control the points values.
It turned out so good and I can’t wait for leftover this week. If you would like to make it yourself you can check out my version of the recipe below. Even though I am keeping things simple this week I am really making an honest effort to eat as clean as possible. I finally feel like I am getting my motivation back and my head back in the right place after a rough couple of weeks. I know I feel so much better when I eat clean and cut out as much processed food as possible. I can physically feel it in my body when I have made poor food choices and I love feeling good so it is in my best interest to make smart choices. I have actually discovered some new to me products that I have been loving and I will post about them later this week.
For food prep I did the following to prepare for this week:
- Flax Pancakes – So I am kind of addicted to flax pancakes so I am taking a break from my egg muffins this week. If you want the super easy recipe you can check it out on Nutty About Health. These are so easy to make and are grain free. I even added cocoa powder to one batch and it was fabulous and still healthy!(Now if I could just get my girl and husband to eat them)
- Fruits and Veggies – I have carrots, grapes, celery, sweet peppers and strawberries in individual snack size baggies so they are pre-portioned. I also keep blackberries, blueberries and bananas on hand to serve with breakfasts.
- Sweet Kale Salad – I picked up my favorite brand of salad mix called Sweet Kale and each bag makes four servings and I pack them in portable containers from Ziploc which I adore!I don’t add the dried cranberries, seeds or dressing that it comes with instead I use a RF Yogurt honey mustard dressing that I dip into when I eat.
- All natural Yogurts – Last week I picked up some new yogurts that I plan to have with my breakfasts in the morning rather than my traditional PB2 Greek yogurt mix. They are included in my new finds that I will post about later this week.
Lunch and Dinner Plans:
- Skirt Steak with Romanesco Sauce – This recipe is from Laloosh and I have not made it before but I have had the best luck recipes from this site. Plus each recipe includes the weight watchers points which makes it so much easier to menu plan.
- BBQ Portabello Sandwiches with Chipotle Coleslaw – I have been dying to make this recipe every since Brooke Not on A Diet posted it a few weeks ago.
- Curried Shrimp and Channa Masala packs – This is a dish thrown together by me. I am just sauteing shrimp with spices including curry powder and serving it with Channa Masala packages which is chickpeas simmered in onions, tomatoes and spices. These are 90 second packets that I picked up at costco that I have been meaning to use. They actually had them on sample that day and they were so good! Also the ingredients list is short and all natural ingredients so it should still meet my goals of eating clean.
- BBQ and Chicken Burger Leftovers – These will be mixed in for lunches or dinner over the next couple of days.
So what are you guys making this week? I hope you keep it easy and healthy and have a great week!!
Chicken Parmesan Burgers
- 1lb of Ground Chicken Breast or 4 frozen chicken burgers.
- Part Skim Mozzarella
- 1/4 Marinara Sauce – Low Sodium
- 4 Tomato Slices
- Lite Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns
- Fresh Basil
- This recipe is so easy and you can choose to create your own chicken burger patties using ground chicken breast or if you are in a time crunch you can use frozen chicken burger patties. Weight watchers actually has some great ones they released recently that have very minimal ingredients and are 3 points plus values. Cook the chicken patties on the grill, in a skillet or in the oven until they are cooked through. When burgers are cooked add a couple of tablespoons of sauce to each patty and a slice of mozzarella (1/2 to 1 ounce) and place a top each burger and then in the oven until melted. When done distribute on buns and add a couple pieces of basil and a slice of fresh tomato. That’s it! So fresh and yum and I will be making these regularly.
- My version including the bun, chicken burger, mozzarella, marinara sauce and basil equals 8 points plus on weight watchers. This is way lower than a traditional burger joint which average 12 points or more!
Tagged: clean eating, family, food planning, food prep, healthy eating, healthy living, Inspiration, meal planning, menu planning, motivation, never give up, nutrition, support, weightloss, weightwatchers