So I posted a picture of my breakfast today and I had some friends that wanted to know how I made my egg white muffins. They have been making the rounds on Pinterest for quite a while now but I still thought I would share my personal favorite with you. The great thing about this recipe is you can just mix up the ingredients to pretty much whatever you want especially if you are a veggie person. I even made this alternate recipe for cottage cheese egg muffins last week from the lean Green Bean and they were pretty awesome but they did fall apart pretty easily. I personally love to make mine with Turkey sausage and reduced fat feta cheese. When I calculated them on weight watchers recipe builder it works out to 3 points plus for two egg muffins.
Also, I am a sucker for anything key lime flavored so when Stuftmama posted about GNC Total Lean Key lime protein powder I knew I had to go get some. Then she went and turned into the Total Lean Key Lime Protein Muffin that I made for breakfast this morning. It was so good and I am planning to make her recipe for the Key Lime Pancakes this weekend! She is amazing at coming up with unique protein packed snacks and meals and I definitely recommend you check her blog out.
Question of the day?
Do you have any unique recipes that you make with protein powders?
Egg White, Turkey Sausage and Feta Muffins
- 2 cups egg whites
- Turkey Sausage Crumbles (I use Jimmy Dean crumbles that are already cooked and are 9.6 oz a bag)
- 2 ounces Reduced Fat Feta
- 1/4 cup of milk (Any variety)
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Any veggies you would like! Broccoli, onions peppers mushrooms all work great in this recipe!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- I use a regular size muffin tin that has 12 slots. You can spray your pan to prevent sticking but I personally like aluminum foil muffin cups because then I don’t even need the muffin tin. You can just line the cups on a baking tray!
- Distribute turkey sausage evenly into the muffin cups. If you are not using precooked sausage then you will want to cook this before you put them in the muffin cups!
- Mix egg whites, milk, oil, salt and pepper, and baking powder in a bowl and combine. Then ladle (I use a soup ladle) evenly into the 12 cups.
- Then sprinkle feta cheese over cups and distribute evenly.
- Place in oven and bake for 18 to 20 minutes. These will rise up but they will deflate shortly after pulling them out of the oven. Allow to cool and then remove from liners if you would like and store in air tight container. Enjoy!
- Servings 6 (2 egg muffins)
- Two egg muffin cups = 3 weight watchers points plus