This is one of those recipes that is so so good and gets better each day served as leftovers. I have shared this recipe with so many of my friends and they all rave about it too. I originally found this recipe on the weight watchers website and made it per the original instructions and it turned out great. The second time I made it I didn’t have any Greek yogurt and I thought it tasted just as good so I never really add it anymore. Also you can make this with chicken breasts or tenderloins and it tastes great too, just make sure to watch your cooking time as white meat can dry out quickly. Quick Note: I would like to point out that this is certainly not a true Indian tika masala dish it just gives some of the wonderful rich flavors from the original dish.
I forgot to take a photo of the finished dish before I packed it away for lunches but here it is assembled and ready to cook in the crock pot. (Bad blogger )
I hope you all enjoy!
Crock Pot Chicken Tika Masala
- 28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 small uncooked onion(s), minced
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp ginger root, fresh, minced
- 2 Tbsp garam masala
- 1 Tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 pound(s) uncooked boneless, skinless chicken thigh(s)
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup(s) plain low fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup(s) cilantro, fresh, chopped (optional)
- Combine all ingredients, except yogurt and cilantro, in slow cooker. Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or low for 6 to 8 hours. Stir in yogurt and cilantro. Yields about 1 cup chicken with sauce per serving.
- This recipe as is equals 8 weight watchers points plus value. If you omit the Greek yogurt it goes to 7 points plus. If you use white meat and no yogurt it is 6 points plus value.